Hoffman, Comfort, Offutt, Scott & Halstad, LLP and other law firms were classified as essential businesses based on Governor Hogan’s order dated March 30, 2020. Even though we can continue to work, we have taken measures internally to be responsible citizens. One area that remains challenging is execution of documents. Although recent Orders make remote notarization possible, there still must be in-person witnesses for Wills.
Our doors are locked and walk-in are not permitted. Appointments with in-person contact are only scheduled on an as-needed basis.
Considering the essential employees, first responders, and health care professionals doing their part, it is part of our civic responsibility to be available to assist our clients in these positions with legal counsel and document execution. We have altered our procedures to balance these health and safety needs of our staff, our clients, and the community. Our current procedures are outlined below:
- Initial appointments and follow ups are done remotely.
- Documents prepared ahead of time are sent to the client to be reviewed.
- In-person appointments occur only when witnessing is legally required.
- Clients make an appointment and call from metered curbside parking when they have arrived.
- Supervising attorney and witnesses, as needed, meet with client outside while client remains in car. All staff wear gloves.
- The documents are prepared ahead of time with “sign here” stickers and marked where to be initialed.
- All items are placed in an envelope for clients to review and sign.
- Fresh firm pens in plastic wrappers are present to be used and kept by clients.
- Clients review/sign papers in front of witnesses who are outside the car.
- Signed documents are taken inside for witnessing and notarization.
- The documents are then placed in the envelope and given back to clients along with any correspondence and bills.
If you’re in need of any legal services during this time, please contact the attorneys at Hoffman, Comfort, Offutt, Scott & Halstad, LLP. We are ready to serve you in your time of need. Fill out our contact form or call us today at 410-848-4444.